Monday, April 11, 2011

Lentil Soup

A couple weeks ago I got this awesome hand blender from my Dad. I love surprise packages! He also mailed me a crock pot a few months ago which I will also use in this post. I love having so many kitchen appliances. If only I had a dishwasher to wash them all!




Anyway, when I got it I knew exactly what I was going to make with it -- lentil soup. I make lentil soup fairly often but I've never had the opportunity to blend it up and make it smooth and creamy. This recipe will be a bit different from the other lentil soup recipe I have up on here, but they're very similar nonetheless. This recipe makes a lot. I like to keep leftovers in the refrigerator for lunches and lazy dinners. Feel free to cut this down if you only want to make a small amount.


Ingredients:
7 c. hot water
3 low sodium vegetable bouillon cubes
2 c. lentils
1/4 c. quinoa
1 1/2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
7 cloves garlic, kept whole
1 tsp. salt
2  1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne
2 tbsp. lemon juice


Instructions:
- Throw everything into your crock pot and stir. If you aren't going to be around while it's cooking, you may want to dissolve your bouillon cubes beforehand.
- Put your crock pot on whatever setting you want. I think I set mine to cook for 8 hours.
- Stir every so often so your bouillon cubes dissolve and your soup doesn't stick to the bottom of the crock pot. You could add some oil to keep from sticking but I wanted to do without.



- When it's finally done cooking, use your hand blender to puree. Make sure to get all the bits of onion and garlic!


- Now you are ready to serve and enjoy!




I LOVE having this hand blender. It was amazingly easy to use and even easier to clean! I've tried pureeing soup in my food processor but it just caused a huge mess. Thanks, Dad!


This recipe was almost perfect -- I wish I would have had some green peppers to add! The spices were spot on and the creaminess of the soup was perfect. We ate this right up with a baguette we bought from Trader Joe's. The only thing that sucks about making so much and storing it in the refrigerator is that it solidifies just a bit. Be prepared to add a little water to this before reheating.


I am so glad to be off work for 3 days in a row. I'll be baking up something delicious either today or tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment