Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sprinkles Cupcakes

If you've heard of Sprinkles, then I am sure you know that their cupcakes are featured in magazines, television, etc. I've heard of this place not only from the mentioned places but also from quite a few friends. Sprinkles recently opened a location in La Jolla and, knowing they had a vegan option, I knew I'd have to visit it eventually.

I went there with some friends (hi Ash and David!) who were in town visiting. They frequent Sprinkles every time they are in the San Diego or Los Angeles area and warned me that there is pretty much always a line at this place. Turns out they were right! After waiting in line for 20 minutes or so outside (thank you, San Diego, for beautiful weather), we walked into their tiny little shop. It is decorated very modern and the place smells beautifully. They have cupcakes in all varieties lining their shop -- even doggie cupcakes! Unfortunately they only have one vegan option, red velvet, but at least it's anything but plain ol' chocolate or vanilla. David snatched up a box of a half dozen (he had already eaten one before I was able to snap that shot above) and graciously bought Michael and I each a vegan red velvet cupcake. It was AMAZING! The icing was oozing with coconutty goodness and the the cupcake itself was perfectly moist. Even though sometimes vegan options aren't exactly spot on with the taste of what they are trying to imitate, this tasted just like a red velvet cupcake. While they seem like they have a hefty price tag, the cupcakes are rather large and very filling. They're pretty much the size of a piece of cake! They also have quite a few varieties. I wish their banana dark chocolate came in a vegan option. Oh man.

Michael and I liked them so much that we went back for more a few days later.


If only they'd have more vegan options. Don't get me wrong, I love red velvet, but I can only take so much of one kind! In any case, I'm sure I will be there soon for more of those deeeeelicious vegan red velvet cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment