Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pizza Style Stuffed Peppers

Sorry for the delay, everyone! I have been busy with family visiting, working, wedding planning (!), etc. I am back and ready to post again!

As you might remember, I posted about eating some delicious stuffed peppers. I promised the recipe and, no worries, I haven't forgotten! We were in the mood for some pizza but I really didn't want anything so... doughy. I came up with these peppers and they were equally as good as pizza and definitely healthier!


Ingredients:
4 large green peppers, hollowed out
1/2 c. tomato sauce
1 c. dry lentils (you could use any filler here -- rice, quinoa, etc.)
1/2 c. vegan sausage crumbles
1/2 c. chopped spinach
1/2 c. red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
Parsley, oregano, and garlic powder, to taste
vegan cheese, grated

Instructions:
- Cook your lentils! If you don't know how already, wash lentils, toss into a pot, cover with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and let cook until soft -- usually about 30 minutes but this all depends on how old your lentils are.
- When lentils are done cooking, sauté your sausage crumbles, onions, and garlic in a tiny bit of olive oil for 5 minutes or so. Use a large skillet!



- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir in lentils and remaining ingredients into your skillet with the sausage mixture. Let cook for 3 minutes or so.



- Place your hollow green peppers on a lightly greased cookie sheet, and spoon mixture into each pepper carefully. You might have leftovers depending on the size of your peppers. Don't worry, this is delicious as is!


- Cook for 20 minutes or until pepper is just starting to soften.
- Grate vegan cheese on top, and cook for another 5 minutes to slightly melt your cheese.
- Eat up!


Why did I only make 4 of these?! We ate these things up so fast! They are not only mouth watering but also very filling. I also didn't feel bad after eating these as I usually do with greasy, salty pizza. This is definitely a fun way to eat up any leftovers you may have, too. I just recommend doing it this way -- pizza style!

No comments:

Post a Comment