Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sweet and Sour Stir Fry

I get these weird ethnic food cravings that I absolutely have to satisfy or I turn into one grumpy girl. The other night I wanted something Asian inspired so I threw together this sauce. I would say this is a sweet and sour stir fry, except it doesn't taste like your average sweet and sour sauce. It definitely has some sweetness and some tartness to it, though. I also used some random vegetables because I didn't have time or energy to run to the store for some delicious Asian vegetables. In any case, this satisfied my craving well enough!

Ingredients:
1 c. water
juice from 1 orange
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. cayenne
2 tbsp. corn starch

Instructions:
- Mix in all ingredients except for the corn starch in a small pot.

- Heat on medium heat until just hot and then slowly stir in the corn starch. Make sure to keep whisking.
- Continue whisking until the mixture thickens up. Be patient -- it'll take a few minutes.

- Once the mixture is thick, take it off the heat and set aside.
- Saute some veggies and tofu. I just cooked up green peppers, white onion, corn, and peas. Instead of rice for this stir fry, I made red quinoa.

- Once your vegetables are done cooking, plate and then drizzle with your sauce!

I absolutely loved this sauce. It had the perfect amount of spiciness to it. This really would've been good with some better vegetables (and a better camera)! I am glad that it turned out so well. I love cooking this way -- just throw ingredients in a pot, taste, add some more, etc. This only problem is that this makes it hard to tell you how much I used! I think tonight I will be making stuffed peppers. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment