Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Macaroni and "Cheese"

Ok, I know I titled this "macaroni and 'cheese'", however my version contains neither. I would've used macaroni if I had it but unfortunately I only had whole wheat rotini lying around. I will warn you now -- this recipe is anything but healthy :)

Ingredients:
1 box pasta (I used whole wheat rotini in a 13.25 oz. box)
3/4 c. almond milk
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
3/4 c. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/8 block of firm tofu (I just eye-balled this so this is a guess)
1/4 c. crumbled "sausage"

Instructions:
- Cook pasta as instructed (or, if you're like me, not as instructed -- just throw pasta into a pot of water and boil).
- While pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Throw all ingredients except for pasta and "sausage" into your food processor. Process this until smooth.
- When pasta is done cooking, spoon into a 9 x 13 pan.

- Pour your "cheese" mixture over the pasta and then add your crumbled "sausage". Mix well.

- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until your pasta browns just a tad bit on the top.
- Let cool for a couple minutes and then EAT!


Before I became vegan I was never really a fan of macaroni of cheese. Actually, I hated it. Let me just say that this was amazing. It doesn't really taste like your boxed macaroni and cheese. In my opinion it's way better! You can add pretty much anything to it -- chopped garlic, spinach, bread crumbs, etc. I think next time I might add some more nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and paprika. I also think this would be better with more pasta and more "cheese" sauce so it's more of a casserole. The pasta sat sort of shallow in the pan. In any case, I will definitely be making this again.

I have some food on the stove right now that smells absolutely delicious. Let's hope it tastes as good as it smells! Don't worry, I'll most likely post tonight's dinner sometime in the near future. Well, that is, after I get to posting the pecan pie I made for Christmas! I am such a procrastinator...

No comments:

Post a Comment