Friday, April 6, 2012

Healthy Breakfast Cookies


You all are very aware that I need sweets in my life. I've been craving vegan cheesecake, tiramisu, chocolate chip cookies, etc. Of course, since I am getting married in July, I can't eat all of these things. I need to look good for my wedding, after all! I made these healthy cookies a while back and thought I'd try to revamp them. I've had these pure fig bars in my pantry for some time now and thought maybe I could try using them in these cookies. Turns out I had a pretty good idea because figs give these babies a nice little crunch! This recipe makes 36 cookies.


Ingredients:
2 c. gluten-free flour (I used Bob's all purpose)
2 c. rolled old-fashioned oats
1 c. raw almonds
4 tbsp. flaxseed meal
2 tsp. baking soda
dash of salt and cinnamon
2 scoops pure stevia (featured in this recipe)*

1/2 c. all natural unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
1 1/4c. almond milk, room temperature
3 tbsp. liquified coconut oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract
mix-ins of choice (I chose 1 c. chocolate chips and 2 of these fig bars)

*If you don't have pure stevia, don't fret! Use any sweetener you prefer -- just make sure you reduce the liquid or the dry ingredients, depending on your sweetener.

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a food processor, grind up your oats and almonds until it becomes a flour-like consistency. Add in other dry ingredients and process until just mixed.
- In your stand mixer bowl, mix your liquid ingredients. Make sure your almond milk is room temperature or warm or else your coconut oil will solidify!
- Slowly incorporate your dry into your wet ingredients, mixing it until just combined.


- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Keep in mind these don't spread out so you can place them fairly close together!


- Bake for 8 minutes, let sit on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to cooling racks.


These aren't as sweet as your average chocolate chip cookie, but they're still sweet enough to fulfill my cravings! They're denser, too, so a little goes a long way. Keep these stored in your freezer and pop one in your lunch bag or eat it on your way to work. It can't get any easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment