Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Raw Mini "Cheesecakes"


Michael and I got some new toys with our wedding shower gift cards...




We haven't busted out the new juicer yet but I wasted no time on the food processor. My old one didn't get every little grain pulverized like food processors should. The thing was free, though, and I never complained. We got a new one that comes with a mini bowl (which I can't wait to use!!). After making these mini cheesecakes, I am so happy that I chose this food processor. It's awesome! Anyway, on to the food. This recipe makes around 12-15 mini cheesecakes, or 1 whole pie. I recommend making the filling first and then the crust. I'll explain below.

Ingredients for pie filling:
2 c. dry cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
1 zucchini, shredded and de-seeded (yes, a zucchini!)
1 lemon, juiced and zested (is "zested" a word?)
1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 . coconut oil, liquified
1 scoop pure stevia*

*This isn't technically raw but is still an awesome product. I high recommend this stuff, however, feel free to use any liquid sweetener if you prefer. Make sure to cut back on your coconut oil or up your zucchini or cashews if you go the liquid route.

Ingredients for crust:
1 1/4 c. raw almonds
1/4 c. raw pecans
2 tbsp. shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp. water
1 tsp. raw coconut nectar (or any other liquid sweetener of your choice)

Instructions:
- Blend all of your filling ingredients in your food processor until it is very creamy. This will take quite a few minutes and a lot of wiping the sides down. Be patient!


- Place your filling into a bowl. Set aside. Don't clean out food processor!


- Place crust ingredients into your food processor, with the leftover filling, and blend until it becomes crumbly. The reason I do it this way is because having a bit of the filling in the crust makes for a very delicious cheesecake. The crust also holds up better this way.

- Ball up some of the crust and pat down into lined muffin tins. I actually used a tiny bit more than what is pictured. You'll probably have a little bit of leftover crust.


- Spoon your filling into each muffin tin.


- Place into your freezer for at least 30 minutes and then your refrigerator until your ready to eat. Peel away the liners and top with whatever you choose. I actually whipped up a mixture of blackberries, blueberries, coconut nectar, and lemon juice.


This was just so...


... so good. Seriously, this is the best version of a raw "cheesecake" I think I have ever made. There were no bits of cashews like in my previous versions which made for a super creamy filling. The crust was the perfect texture and taste and the topping just made it all come together perfectly. I might add a bit more lemon juice next time, but of course I can never keep recipes the way they were the first (or second) time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment