Monday, June 27, 2011

Raw Key Lime Pie


It's time for another raw dessert recipe! These are my new favorite things to experiment on in the kitchen. Can you tell?

I recently discovered this recipe and knew I had to make it. I made a few modifications so I'll post the recipe I used here. This recipe makes 6 individual servings.

Ingredients:

Filling:
2 avocados
2 key limes
zest from one key lime
1/2 c. coconut oil, liquified
2 tbsp. raw agave nectar

Crust:
1/2 c. almond meal
1/2 c. dates
2 tbsp. water
pinch of nutmeg

Instructions:
- Line one muffin tin in parchment paper.
- Blend your filling ingredients until you've got a nice creamy consistency. I used my food processor, which I think made it a tad too runny. I suggest using a hand or stand mixer.



- Pour your filling into your lined muffin tin. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- While your muffin tin is freezing, prepare your crust. Toss all ingredients into your food processor and mix until you've got a sticky mixture.
 - When your filling is done freezing, press your crust mixture on top of each pie filling.


- Pop back into your freezer for another 30 minutes, then in your refrigerator for at least 5 minutes before you eat!


- Peel back your parchment paper and turn upside down on a plate. Voila!


I decided to make these upside down since my crust sort of stuck to the pan the last time I made a raw dessert. I am really glad I did because they just look so cute upside down and straight out of the parchment paper! I know they look pretty, but they taste even better. They aren't nearly as dense as the cashew "cheesecake" but just as delicious. The avocados not only give it a beautiful green color but also a creamy texture. I think next time I use this recipe I will use fresh mint instead of the key limes and add some raw cacao. I am getting so many ideas in my head! Ok, Emily, only one dessert at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment