Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pecan Pie

I knew eventually I would have to tackle trying to make a vegan pecan pie since it's Michael's absolute favorite. He's incredibly picky when it comes to his pecan pie so I made sure to do a lot of research and pick out a recipe that looked easy and like it'd be close to the real thing ("real" meaning non-vegan). I stumbled upon this recipe and thought it looked great. Turns out I was right, because this was mighty tasty! For the crust, I used this recipe.


I prebaked the crust for about 5 minutes.


I used the maple syrup sugar mixture in the pie recipe.


Raw pecans placed on top. I couldn't stop snacking on them!


- The end and not-so-pretty result!

I would say that these recipes were an overall success. The pie didn't set as firm as Michael would've liked, but it was close to the real thing. He likes pecan pie set even firmer than what most people are used to. I think I can play around with the cornstarch and figure it out. I also think it almost tasted too maple-y. Maybe the other sugar mixture would be better? The crust was also extremely hard to cut. I think this was mainly my fault -- I kept packing it in the pie pan to use it all. Oops! Despite all my negative comments, the pie and crust were amazing. It had a very rich and nutty flavor, which is unlike a lot of sweets that I make. It was nice making something out of my comfort zone for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment