Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blackberry Cupcakes

I originally wanted to make raspberry cupcakes, but when I realized that the jam I had in the refrigerator was blackberry and not raspberry, I had no choice but to change my recipe just a tad bit. Makes around 12 cupcakes.

Ingredients:
2/3 c. almond milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. oil
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. natural unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. blackberry jam
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 c. sugar
2/3 c. almond meal
2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 muffin tins.
- Stir vinegar into almond milk. Set aside.
- Mix together all dry ingredients -- flour, sugar, almond meal, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In your vinegar and almond milk bowl, stir in remaining wet ingredients.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Make sure not to over mix.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full.

- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until done. Let sit in muffin pan for a few minutes before placing them on cooling racks.

- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare some frosting! I beat together a couple spoonfuls of blackberry jam, 1 tbsp. lime juice, a couple spoonfuls of softened Earth Balance, and powdered sugar. Just beat and keep adding powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread on cooled cupcakes.


Despite the color of these cupcakes looking awfully scary (they're sort of a teal color), these were mighty delicious! They had a very nice, and not too strong, blackberry flavor along with a little tanginess in the frosting. They turned out very moist -- make sure they are stored in an air-tight container so they don't dry out! I actually stored them in the refrigerator which kept the icing from melting. Next time, I will probably use fresh blackberries or raspberries and puree them myself. However, the jam did work quite nicely (and was already in my kitchen).

I love making cupcakes. I wish I had pastry bags so I could at least make them look pretty! Oh well. It's all in the taste, right?

1 comment:

  1. Ooo oo! Mr. Fiedler gave me one of those. It was crazy delicious. I was the happiest kid in school noming away at these badboys during an otherwise lousy 6th period. I will definitely be sending some cookies down your way soon! :D

    ReplyDelete