Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Non-Food Post!

I realize many of you may not know too much about me except for the fact that I am vegan! I decided to give you all a glimpse into the life of Emily...

- I've been vegan for about a year and a half now. I was vegetarian for who knows how long and then I was living mainly a vegan lifestyle for a year until I decided to fully make the plunge. As a vegetarian I pretty much decided that I would most definitely become vegan, it was all just a matter of when. I feel that if you are a vegetarian just for the ethical aspect of it then it's sort of silly to not become vegan. I hear way too much of "what about cheese?!" which infuriates me. Of course I loved many foods that were not vegan, however, my feelings toward the earth, the animals, and myself is much more important than having a few food items in my diet that I once loved. That being said, even though cheesecake was pretty much my favorite thing ever, I now make a mean vegan cheesecake that is delicious as well as non-heart clogging! Veganism is MUCH easier than most people think. I am so happy with this choice I have made.

- Becoming vegan has taught me something -- that I LOVE to cook and bake! I didn't really know this about myself until I made this change. You can be a vegan and not really like to cook (beans, for instance, are super easy to make). I am lucky I found something that I truly feel improves my quality of life and just all around makes me joyful. Ok, I guess having a nice cup of tea and a good book in hand also puts me in a pretty good mood.

- I currently live with my fiance, Michael, in San Diego. We moved here in late August due to Michael finding a teaching job out here. He looked, and applied for, many jobs across the United States in cities that we both would want to settle down in -- San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Asheville, Austin, etc. We were very lucky that he got a job in such a great city! While I do miss my friends and family back home, I am anxious to get my life started here with Michael and am so thankful I have such a great person to spend my life with.

- I work at Starbucks just to make some money. It definitely won't be long-term -- I am trying to earn some money and build a life here while looking around at different cosmetology schools. I am pretty sure I found the school I will attend, I just don't know when I'll be able to start. Michael and I both just started paying off our school loans (I have a Fashion Marketing and Sales degree) so money is definitely tight.

- I have a fabulous family back in Ohio who supports me in pretty much everything and I am entirely grateful for this (I say "pretty much" because I think most don't support me in having tattoos and piercings, ha). I am a unique, caring, and creative person and I'd like to think I get this from my family for accepting me and even encouraging me to be my own person. All of my opinions and beliefs are my own and I take pride in this.

I think this sums up what I am about without giving TOO much away (this is, after all, a public website). I hope you all are interested in what I just wrote or else I just wrote to myself, haha. Feel free to ask any more questions if you feel so inclined!

With all that being said, now it's time to sit down with my love and eat a delicious vegan dinner that I just prepared...

No comments:

Post a Comment