Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Easy Black Bean Burgers

I love making bean burgers because they are super easy to make -- you can pretty much use whatever ingredients you have as long as beans are involved! I made this up as I went along, so keep in mind that these measurements may not be exact. I used black beans and almonds but you can probably use whatever nuts and beans you have on hand. I also usually use more veggies in my bean burgers but I was lazy at the time and only used onions.

Ingredients:
makes 6 burgers

1 16. oz. can black beans
1 c. almonds
1/2 white onion
2 tbsp. miso
2 tbsp. corn meal
2 tbsp. corn starch
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
pinch of salt and pepper

Instructions:
- Toss everything into a food processor.

- Let the food processor run for only a minute or two. You don't want it to process too long or it could get runny. Add more corn meal or corn starch if you feel it isn't thick enough.
- When you feel that it's the right consistency, let it sit in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Mold into patties and place on greased cookie sheet or frying pan. I chose to bake them. I cooked them on 375 degrees for roughly 15 minutes on each side.

- Serve with whatever toppings you like. I used some delicious Daiya mozzarella and some cooked onions. Michael, however, put ketchup on his. If you know me, you know I HATE condiments. Yuck!

I loved that I used a lot of nuts in these since it gave them a nice crunch. Sunflower seeds are my favorite to put in veggie burgers so I definitely recommend using those if you have any. I do wish I would've added more spices, although they were still delicious as is. These beans are nice to freeze up if you don't have any time to cook them or want to save them for later on. The possibilities are endless!

I wish I had some of these burgers right now. I'm sitting in the San Diego Airport hungry and cold! I can't complain, though. I'm headed to Ohio and it's snow covered. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment