Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lentil Cutlets

A couple of weeks ago I threw together these lentil cutlets. We were running out of food so I pretty much just used whatever I had and they ended up turning out very good! I also didn't measure anything so I am just going to guess on this...

Ingredients:
1 cup dry lentils
2 cups of water
1/2 white onion
1 medium sized carrot
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c. cooked rice (not sure how much I threw in. We had some leftovers so I used those)
2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
a dash of cinnamon
a few dashes of cumin
a few dashes of cayenne
pinch of salt and pepper
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. breadcrumbs (use however much you think you need. Just keep adding until you get a desired consistency)

Instructions:
- Bring lentils and water to a boil. Turn to medium-low heat, cover, and let sit for 30 minutes or until lentils are softened.
- When lentils are done, place those along with your onion, garlic, carrot, rice, flax, and spices in a food processor. Once processed to your liking, place contents in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix your cornstarch and breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Stir in your breadcrumb mix into the lentil mix, adding more breadcrumbs as needed. I made mine fairly thick. A good way to test the consistency is by making a patty with your hands and see if it stays together at all. If you feel that it's too dry, add a little bit of water or soy milk.

- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer before cooking.
- After refrigeration, shape the lentil mash into patties and fry in a skillet with just a little bit of oil. It should take a few minutes on each side on medium-high heat.
- Enjoy!


I am very glad I made these. I was able to use up some stale bread that I had made a few days back as well as leftover rice. They sort of tasted like mujadara patties... YUM! They were crispy on the outside which I liked. They were very filling as well so I didn't really need to eat anything else. I think next time I might add a bit of flour just so they hold together better (they were very fragile) or process the mixture for longer. In any case, they were fun to make and I love experimenting with new veggie burgers or cutlets!

No comments:

Post a Comment