Thursday, September 1, 2011

Raw Tiramisu




I know I've been lacking variety on my blog to my new obsession in raw "baked" goods. I hope everyone is ok with it, though, because here's a new one! If you know me at all, you know that tiramisu is my favorite dessert ever (ok, except for maybe cashew cardamom cake from Inn Season). I found this recipe and knew what my next experment would be. I used my recipe for cashew cream but doubled it and added a dash of almond extract and 1 tsp. coconut oil. I changed the raw tiramisu recipe (linked above) just a tad bit. This is time consuming to make but totally worth it.

Ingredients (cake layer):
1 c. dates, soaked in 1 c. water
2 c. cashews, soaked
1 tbsp. raw agave nectar
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
4 tsp. ground coffee
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 c. + 1 tbsp. coconut oil, liquified

Instructions:
- Start soaking both batches of cashews (one for the cake and one for the cream) and also your dates. I used all separate containers to make it easier on me.


- After a couple hours of soaking, whip up your cashew cream. Set in the refrigerator until you are ready to layer it.


- Place all ingredients for your cake in your food processor. Let run until smooth and creamy.
- Using a wet rubber spatula, smooth our your cake layer into a small pan, casserole dish, etc. Use whatever you have handy.


- Smooth out a layer of your cashew cream on top of your cake layer.


- Pop this into the freezer for 15 minutes or until your cashew cream slightly hardens.
- Smooth out another layer of cake then cashew cream. Freeze for 15 minutes and then smooth another layer of cake then cream on. You'll want to make sure to make thin layers -- the more layers you have, the prettier it looks! Also make sure you freeze in between layers. This will make the job much easier.
- Dust a little cocoa powder on top and refrigerate until time to eat!





Michael said this is his favorite of all the raw desserts I've made. It is definitely yummy! I wish the cake layer was more solid but it would've been much harder to smooth layers on if it was. This raw tiramisu is so creamy, full of coffee and cocoa flavor, and definitely FILLING! This tiramisu has A LOT of cashews so make sure you don't eat too much in one sitting! I am already looking forward to eating some more of this bad boy. If you like tiramisu in the last bit, I highly recommend you make this. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment