Friday, September 24, 2010

Pumpkin Cookies w/ Maple Glaze

In celebration of the first day of Autumn, I decided to make pumpkin cookies. I've had a can of pumpkin for a while so I am finally glad I was able to use it! I pretty much modified a few different recipes I found and came up with this recipe, which makes roughly 3 dozen cookies.

Ingredients:
1 c. canned pumpkin
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. natural applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla with a hand mixer until ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a smaller bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet until it's smooth.
- Drop dough using a spoon onto greased cookie sheet. I used the back of a wet spoon to smooth out the texture of the cookies. Sprinkle with a little bit of coarse sugar if you like.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until the edges are slightly darkened.
- Place cookies on cooling rack and cool completely before glazing.

I wasn't going to glaze these, but I felt like they needed... something. These cookies would've been delicious with some walnuts but unfortunately I didn't have any. For the glaze, I mixed a little bit of maple syrup (the real kind) with a little bit of powdered sugar. I used a spoon and just drizzled it over the cookies.

Let the glaze sit for a while to harden and then serve!


These cookies turned out VERY soft and cakey, which definitely isn't a bad thing! They were very good without the glaze but in the end I was glad I added it. Michael and I both loved them, but the ultimate taste test will be tonight when I give them to his band students at the football game. I also made them peanut butter cookies but forgot to take pictures! I saved my recipe so maybe I will make them again soon to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment