Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oat-Blueberry Waffles

I was in the mood for waffles this morning but wanted something a little bit healthier than regular waffle recipes. I made this up and I think it turned out quite nice! This recipe makes 6-8 waffles, depending on your batter consistency.

Ingredients:
3 c. oats
2 to 2 1/2 c. water
1 egg replacer (I used 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp. water)
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. shredded coconut
a dash of salt
a dash of cinnamon
1/4 c. blueberries

Instructions:
- Grease and turn on waffle maker.
- Place 2 of the 3 cups of the oats in your food processor. Process this until it becomes a flour-like consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor except blueberries (this includes the other cup of oats). Process this until it becomes a batter. Add more water if needed if you feel like the batter is too thick. I made sure not to process this too long so that remaining cup of oats are still like oats and less like flour.
- Stir in blueberries.


- Pour batter into your greased waffle iron.

- Cook these until your waffle maker is done or until whenever you feel like they are ready to eat. I like mine crispy so I kept them in a bit longer than what the waffler maker wanted me to.
- Serve with toppings of choice! I used a scoop of vegan yogurt and a little bit of maple syrup.
- Place the remaining waffles in freezer baggies and pop them into the freezer. When you are ready to eat them, just put them in the toaster and they'll be ready to eat!

Yummm! These were very good! I'm not a huge oatmeal fan but still want to be able to eat oats so I try to think of other ways to incorporate them into my diet. These didn't taste quite like regular Belgian waffles but were still delicious. Next time, though, I will not use the vegan yogurt. I feel like that overpowered the taste of the waffles too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment