Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lemon Garlic Tempeh w/ Roasted Asparagus




I've been in the mood for some tempeh recently and since asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, I figured I should treat myself to both!

Ingredients:
1/2 block of tempeh
asparagus
cooked brown rice
4 cloves of garlic
lemon juice
basil
olive oil

Instructions:
- To prepare marinade, chop garlic and add to lemon juice, basil, and olive oil. I didn't measure anything... I just added things and kept tasting to make sure I had the right flavor.
- I only used half a block of tempeh because I didn't want to cook it all right away. Cut the half block into half again to get two pieces. I thought the pieces were a bit thick so I cut through them to make them thinner (for a total of 4 pieces of tempeh).
- Place tempeh into a ziplock bag and pour marinade into it. Seal bag and let sit however long you choose. I marinated mine for 24 hours.
- After the tempeh is ready, place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- As the tempeh is cooking, get the asparagus ready (I cooked a whole bundle for leftovers but you can decide on how much you want to cook). As usual, wash the asparagus and cut off the ends. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle a little bit of olive oil over asparagus as well as a little bit of the leftover marinade. Toss asparagus to evenly coat them and spread out evenly onto the cookie sheet.
- When the tempeh has about 10-12 minutes left, place cookie sheet with asparagus into oven with the tempeh.

- Keep an eye out on both tempeh and asparagus. I made sure they were done cooking at the same time so I could enjoy them both together when they were fresh (I actually timed the rice along with these two but I figured I didn't need to put instructions on how to cook rice).
- When tempeh and asparagus are finished cooking, place on top of rice and eat!

This was DELICIOUS! The marinade was flavorful enough that I didn't need any for the rice. I could very easily taste all of the ingredients in each item. I cooked everything exactly how I wanted and wouldn't have changed anything! I'm also glad that I made enough for a couple more meals, haha.

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy, but I dont know what tempeh is. Is it something I could get from a regular grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempeh is made from soybeans but is nothing like tofu. It's sort of hard to describe so just take a look at the Wikipedia... page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh

    I can buy it at some regular grocery stores by me but not all. Sometimes if a store has tofu they will also have tempeh. It all depends on the area and the store though.

    ReplyDelete