Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Healthy and Flourless Black Bean Brownies

Yes, you read the title right. These are black bean brownies! They are moist, decadent, rich, and made with no flour!


This recipe makes enough for a 9 x 13 pan of brownies. You could be like Michael and I and cut them so large you only get 12 brownies out of the whole pan. Either way, it makes a whole pan's worth.

Ingredients:
4 c. black beans, cooked, rinsed, and drained (you can use canned or dried. I used dried)
8 medjool dates, soaked for at least an hour and pitted*
1/2 c. nut butter of your choice (I used tahini)
1 1/4 c. almond milk
1/2 c. unsweetened natural applesauce
1 c. cocoa powder
1/4 c. flaxseed meal
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
optional add-ins: chocolate chips, dried fruit, chopped nuts, etc.

* You may want to add in more dates depending on your personal preference. Since we like our brownies pretty rich and tasting like dark chocolate, I only added 5 plus a scoop of stevia. Feel free to taste your batter and add in more sweetener or dates if you prefer.

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Puree your black beans and dates in your food processor until it becomes a thick and creamy consistency. You may need to add a little almond milk to help this process along.
- Once your beans and dates are blended, add in all ingredients except any add-ins you may have. Process until mixed.
- Using a spoon or spatula, fold in your add-ins. I used chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. I pressed a few chocolate chips on top as well.


- Bake for around 25 minutes, making sure to test with a toothpick. This may take longer depending on your pan.
- Let cool completely before cutting. You don't want these falling apart!


I can't believe how good these were! I've been experimenting with healthy desserts and I think I have a winner here. Michael pretty much inhaled a brownie when he came home earlier. When I asked him what he thought these were made from, he couldn't even guess. He was shocked to find out these are made mainly from black beans. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment