Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cream of Spinach Soup




I love soup. It's so easy to make, filling, and [usually] healthy. I had in mind to make a cream of spinach soup but less creamy and more spinachy (is that a word?). I didn't have zucchini so I used cucumber instead. I know it sounds strange adding cucumber, but it was a good addition!

Ingredients:
4 c. low sodium vegetable broth
2 c. spinach (I used frozen)
1 cucumber, roughly chopped
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 c. chopped broccoli
2 small bulbs of garlic, roasted
1/2 c. raw cashews
handful of fresh parsley
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt

Instructions:
- Sauté onions in olive oil on medium-high heat. Cook these for 8 minutes or so and then add in spinach, cucumber, parsley, and broccoli. Only cook these together for a couple minutes to make sure your spinach doesn't wilt and burn.



- Transfer your spinach mixture to your crockpot and add in your vegetable stock, roasted garlic, and cashews.




- Cook your soup on high for 4 hours in your crockpot.
- Once done cooking, let cool for 5 minutes and then puree with a hand blender.



- For best results, serve immediately (although it definitely is delicious reheated)!


I love spinach and I especially love it in soup. This was so smooth and savory. I'm glad I didn't really add in too many herbs because it would've taken away from the rich spinach flavor. The cucumber gave it a nice light taste and the cashews contributed to the creaminess. Next time I make this, I won't change a thing.

Just a heads up: I'll be headed back to Ohio to see my family for a week so I might be slacking on updates. With work kicking my butt, wedding planning, and a vacation coming up, I am already slacking. Sorry, everyone! I promise to get back into the swing of things shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment