Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spicy Peanut Stir Fry

Have you heard of Miracle Noodles? My Dad mentioned these to me and I knew I'd have to buy them. They have 0 calories and consist of water and glucomannan, a soluble plant fiber which comes from the konjac plant. They're mainly used to lose weight, however, I bought them not necessarily to lose weight but to put in meals where I'd have something starchy -- rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. 



I tried them out by making a spicy peanut stir fry sauce using this recipe (but of course changing it just a bit).

Ingredients:
1 c. natural peanut butter
1 c. hot water
3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
splash lemon juice
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. chili powder

1 block firm tofu, pressed for at least 20 minutes and chopped to your liking

stir fry vegetables -- I used a bag of frozen string beans, broccoli, and mushrooms
1 pack of Miracle Noodles, prepared

Instructions:
- Stir hot water into the peanut butter making sure to break up the peanut butter. It'll take a few minutes so be patient!
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to your peanut butter mixture.



- Pour 1 cup of the spicy peanut sauce over tofu in a shallow dish and let sit for a few hours. Make sure to keep the remaining sauce refrigerated until use.


- When it's time to cook your tofu, heat a wok or skillet on medium-high heat. Cook tofu until browned, about 10 minutes. I just dumped the tofu and marinade into the wok and cooked together.


- When your tofu is browned, add in your veggies. Cook this until your vegetables are just barely cooked through but still nice and crisp.


- Stir in your Miracle Noodles and the remaining sauce when the vegetables and tofu are perfectly cooked. You just want to cook this until the sauce is heated through.



I was amazed at how this tasted. I figured the Miracle Noodles would taste gross and I'd need a lot of sauce to mask it. I was wrong! They were definitely a different texture than what I am used to but it wasn't bad. I'm glad I bought a few bags of these because I will definitely use them again.

As for the sauce -- YUM! I wish I had some cayenne to throw in it but unfortunately ran out. It had a very nice but subtle spiciness to it. This stir fry would have been great with some peanuts sprinkled on top! Overall, though, I think this was a hit. Both Michael and I loved it and were pretty happy with how the Miracle Noodles turned out. I was also able to use my new wok so that was exciting in and of itself!

In non-food related news, we were out surfing last night and saw a SEA LION! In the ocean! About 25 feet from us! It was a little scary but super cool. I sure love San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment