Monday, January 3, 2011

Eggnog Cupcakes

Michael and I are on a "no sweets except for the holidays" diet so I wanted to make sure I baked up some awesome goodies for Christmas. I found this recipe and decided to give it a go. I've never associated eggnog and liquor, though, so I changed the recipe up just a tad bit. I definitely don't like rum flavor. Ick. Anyway, this makes 12 cupcakes.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. eggnog alternative (I used Silk Nog)
1/4 c. oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with paper liners or spritz with oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the liquid ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Combine the liquid into the dry, stirring until thoroughly combined but not over-mixed.
- Pour batter into muffin liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for around 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let rest in muffin tins for 2 minutes or so and then transfer to cooling rack.


- While cupcakes are cooling, whip up some delicious eggnog icing!

Ingredients:
1/4 c. softened vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
5 tbsp. eggnog alternative (again, I used Silk Nog)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 1/2 c. confectioners sugar

Instructions:
- Beat together all ingredients except for the sugar using a hand or stand mixer. You may use more or less confectioners sugar depending on your liking so add this in slowly until it becomes an icing-like consistency (my measurement for this is approximate since I just kept adding until it looked and felt right).

- Spread on cupcakes when they are fully cooled and sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon.


Make sure to store these in the refrigerator so the icing doesn't become too gooey over time. I think these are best when the icing is a bit stiff! I also think the icing totally made these cupcakes. While they were delicious just as is, the eggnog flavoring in both the cupcake AND icing made these absolutely perfect. I think these are the tastiest cupcakes I've ever made (and unfortunately I am not talented enough in the kitchen to have made this recipe up myself). I made Michael go out and buy more Silk Nog before the new year so I could whip up another batch and devour them before the holidays were over! If you have any leftover eggnog, I HIGHLY recommend making these as soon as possible. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment