Monday, October 25, 2010

Chocolate Citrus Cupcakes

I bake a lot but generally the baked goods I make go towards Michael's students. I wanted to make some cupcakes just for Michael and I. I also wanted something different than what I usually make. I adapted a few recipes and came up with this. This recipe makes roughly 24 cupcakes.

Ingredients:
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2/3 c. water
1 c. orange juice
2 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. oil
3 tbsp. unsweetened natural applesauce
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. shredded coconut

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease or line cupcake pans.
- Mix the dry ingredients (except the coconut) together in a large bowl and mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly add the wet into the dry until it is just mixed.
- Fold in shredded coconut.
- Spoon batter into cupcake pan, about 3/4 full.


- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until done.
- Place on cooling racks and let cool completely if you decide to put icing on them.

- Eat!
These cupcakes could have used some adjustments. I wish I had added more lemon juice to give it a bit more tang, some more coconut, and probably some icing on top. Besides that, I think they were very tasty! They were very moist and stayed fresh in a sealed container for about a week. I'm glad they lasted so long -- Michael and I were snacking on these the whole week! I think next time, though, I'll whip up some orange icing to top them with. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment