Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pita Bread

Michael and I got some delicious hummus from Trader Joe's and I wanted some pita bread to go along with it. Buying pita bread from the store can get a bit expensive so I wanted to finally try making it myself (hummus is expensive as well but as of right now I am out all of ingredients to make hummus except garlic, ha). I got the recipe from here but used vegan ingredients. I also used my breadmaker to knead the dough and let it rise, which made my job a bit easier. I was able to clean the apartment while the dough was being made! I love that! Here are some pictures of my pita bread...





I ended up using only whole wheat flour, coarse salt, regular white sugar, 2 tsp. yeast, 1 1/4 c. water, and vegetable oil. They turned out the perfect size and they didn't bubble up too much! They tasted just like store bought pita bread and were significantly cheaper to make and tasted wonderful coming right out of the oven. I think they will be easier to make the next time because now I know how big to make the balls of dough and such (a little bit bigger than the palm of your hand). I also think I want to try making small pitas! Oh the possibilities...

No comments:

Post a Comment